Thursday, October 31, 2013

PRAIRIE ROSE PUBLICATIONS' DEBUT ANTHOLOGY IS HERE! by CHERYL PIERSON





Two short months ago, Livia J. Washburn and I decided to take a plunge and open our own publishing house, PRAIRIE ROSE PUBLICATIONS. It was a dream come true for me because I definitely do not have the computer skills and savvy that Livia possesses! So I would never have undertaken this project on my own. My part of the partnership is publicizing, acquiring new manuscripts, and editing. It is a match made in heaven for both of us. May I share with you all what our “dream company” has done in two short months?

Let’s start with our debut anthology WISHING FOR A COWBOY. We were so fortunate to have such wonderful contributors to this collection! Phyliss Miranda, Tanya Hanson, Sarah McNeal, our own Jacquie Rogers, Tracy Garrett, reviewer Kathleen Rice Adams, Livia and me. This short story grouping is western historical romance, in the sweet to sensual category. All the stories mention a certain holiday food, and the story is either built around the food or can just bring it up casually. The recipes will be included in the back of the book, so there'll be lots of great eating! WISHING FOR A COWBOY was (surprisingly!) available early, as of yesterday, October 29 rather than the planned November 1 release date. It is available in print and digital formats—it’ll make a great Christmas gift for anyone!
KINDLE LINK:
http://www.amazon.com/Wishing-for-a-Cowboy-ebook/dp/B00G9GTWVC/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383171524&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=wishing+for+a+cowboy+print+and

PRINT LINK:
http://www.amazon.com/Wishing-Cowboy-Cheryl-Pierson/dp/061591070X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383171663&sr=1-1&keywords=Wishing+for+a+Cowboy

Our next anthology, HEARTS AND SPURS, will be available on January 15, 2014, for Valentine’s Day gift-giving and reading for those who want to “self-gift.” We were thrilled to have every one of the above authors sign up once more for this anthology as well, and we added another author, Linda Broday!

Also in the mix, one of our anthology contributors, Tanya Hanson, has a brand new inspirational historical western romance, CLAIMING HIS HEART, coming out this month, and we’re all very excited about this one…because she’s talking about a sequel!

We’ve also got two other authors who have novels coming out with PRAIRIE ROSE PUBLICATIONSin the near future, so we’ll be sure to keep you posted.

Livia and I decided to “go for the gusto” when people began to ask about other submissions avenues—Do you publish contemporary or science fiction stories? Do you publish children’s westerns or historicalstories? What about children’s contemporary stories?

Well, what could we do? With that much support and those requests, we had to immediately branch out! We opened PAINTED PONY BOOKS, an imprint for youthful readers of historical/western stories with three levels of submissions/readership: Middle Grade readers (ages 9-12), Young Adult (ages 13-17) and New Adult (ages 18-24)

TORNADO ALLEY PUBLICATIONS is the “sister” imprint for these same ages, but for the contemporary, futuristic, and fantasy categories.

Finally, FIRE STAR PRESS is our imprint for contemporary, futuristic and fantasy categories for adults.

Already, we have several unique and wonderful books and anthologies planned for these different companies that offer a wide variety of reading for all ages.

While PRAIRIE ROSE PUBLICATIONS accepts submissions from women only, the other imprints are co-ed! If you know of anyone who might be looking for an honest publisher, please send them our way! We appreciate you spreading the word for us, and all the support and well wishes we’ve received in the short time we’ve been in business.

You can e-mail us here: prairierosepublications@yahoo.com
We have a brand new website here: http://prairierosepublications.yolasite.com/

27 comments:

  1. My heartiest congratulations to two ladies who deserve all the success and happiness in the world! I'm tickled plumb to death to have a story in WISHING FOR A COWBOY, not only because y'all had the courage to sneak an unknown in among the herd, but also because getting to know all the warm, friendly women who contributed has been such a blessing. Now, if I can just figure out how to try all those recipes over the holidays without exploding.... :-D

    BIG HUGS and all my best wishes to y'all and the Prairie Rose family for tons of success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, we are so glad to have you with us, and I truly just loved your story in the book. Your characters really come alive! Thanks for participating with us and if we hear a big boom up here in OKC, I'll just figure you tried too many of those recipes for your own good.
    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Yeah, keep your ears open. The explosion is a distinct possibility. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Very impressive. Wishing you all good luck for continued success.
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Moderation in all things," as my dad always said, Kathleen. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Keith. We have been so incredibly lucky to work with a slew of wonderful talent, and we're looking forward to all the coming releases in 2014!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Cheryl & Livia. Sounds like a fun venture and I think it's smart t focus on three distinct categories as you are. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Tom. We are having a ball with this--truly enjoying it.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy to be a part of this debut. I think this is going to be a wonderful adventure with a fabulous company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah, we're so glad you joined us. I had my fingers crossed when I asked you, because I know how busy you are. Loved your story in Wishing For a Cowboy. You really know how to tug on the heartstrings!
    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read Wishing for a Cowboy yesterday, and have to say that it's rare to find an anthology where every single story is excellent. Congrats to Livia and Cheryl for this debut offering! I'm honored to be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been incredibly blessed to get to work with so many amazing authors. There couldn't be a better partner than Cheryl. Throw in the tremendous talent we have sending us stories and manuscripts. Wow! It doesn't get any better than this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheryl, it's great to see Prairie Rose getting off to a good start. I just visited the website. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jacquie, thanks so much for throwing in with us and contributing to the anthology. I think the diversity of the stories is what makes it so good--how can you go wrong with 8 writers who have such different styles? Livia and I are both really pleased with the results and with what we have coming up in the near future with Prairie Rose Publications.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  16. Livia, I feel the same way. Everyone has been wonderful to work with and talk about some incredibly talented authors! Here's to many more years and books ahead of us!
    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lyn, thank you! Livia did the website and I think she did a fantastic job. We've had lots of compliments on it.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you have given women who write the West a voice. I think it is so needed. Additionally, Yea! for the additional imprints. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Doris. Livia and I thought so, too, and we are so proud of all of our imprints!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  20. My sincere congratulations. Your achievements in this cut throat business of publishing deserve all respect. I would like to ask, respectfully however, a question that has long been on my mind. What is a blog about romantic stories set in the west (wishing for a cowboy??? Seriously??) doing on a site that deals with the traditional Western as it was penned by Louis l'amour, clay Fisher and other Ernest Haycoxrs? Am I the only one wondering about this?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Michael,

    At the WF Blog, we try to showcase the talents of all of our members. The blog is for promotion of OUR works, (not Haycox and L'Amour). Since we are all presumably in the business of entertaining others, we must realize that not everyone is going to be interested in reading the same thing. That's why we try to have a variety of posts on the blog, to keep it interesting, informative, and to PROMOTE OUR WORKS. If, for some reason, there is a blog post that you are not interested in, may I respectfully offer this advice--don't read it.

    If you've read the blogging here for very long, you'll notice that there is a huge variety in the posts that people write--that's not an accident. I know this might come as a shock to you, but I've taught SHANE in my writing classes as a romance novel, a YA novel and a western novel. Different people like different types of western reading--everything from romance to memoirs to "adult" westerns and more.

    BTW, I'm familiar with the "respectfully wondering" game. When my son was about 4, he believed it was perfectly fine to couch all manner of rude questions with, "Not meaning to be rude or anything, but..."

    This blog is for entertainment and promotion for works of the WESTERN FICTIONEERS members, and just because it might not coincide with YOUR reading tastes doesn't mean others don't enjoy it. I hope you will see your way clear to be a bit more tolerant of all western readers and writers, no matter the subgenre they choose.

    If you are a member of the WESTERN FICTIONEERS group, you are welcome to contact me at fabkat_edit@yahoo.com and I will be glad to find you a blog date in 2014 in order that you might promote your works. We try to have a new post up every day.


    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was just an honest question arising from the fact that this blog announces to cover the traditional western format. It is hard to imagine traditional western readers being the same target audience as the more romantically inclined readership. And when I say respectfully, I mean respectfully. Anyone who manages to get published deserves respect. This is no way meant to sound or be intolerant. Best wishes.

      Delete
  22. Michael,

    Many of us ladies also write what you would consider traditional westerns. My short story, THE KEEPERS OF CAMELOT, was nominated for a WF PEACEMAKER AWARD. Livia, Jacquie also write traditional western fare.

    On this blog we also have an author who has written many westerns but has now switched more to political thrillers. He writes a monthly column that is very popular. Another author writes a column on medical practices which is also one of our most popular. Yet another writes a post on western comic books, and another writes on western movies and filmmaking. As I say, this is a blog that hopes to be vibrant because of our variety of posts and bloggers, but we also try to promote our members, as well.

    I read many traditional westerns, but that doesn't mean that's ALL I read--and don't you think that these other blogs about topics on history, cooking, medicine and so on might be of interest to others? I assure you, they are! As far as the romantically inclined readership--many of them are ALSO traditional western readers and writers.

    I apologize if I misread your intentions--it's just when I see in your comment (wishing for a cowboy??? Seriously??) a person would be hard put to not think that you were being denigrating. All of the authors of this anthology worked very hard on it. And I might add, at one point this past week it reached #8 on Kindle's Top 100 Western Romance list, but it ALSO reached #9 on Kindle's Top 100 WESTERNS list.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks. I appreciate the time you took replying to my question.

    ReplyDelete