Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Lone Ranger - A Fun Movie #western #johnnydepp



The Lone Ranger
Fun, Exciting, and Western

What do you get when you cross campy humor and fast action with a western fictional icon? Lots of grumbling, that’s what. I have a tendency toward the irreverent, so no grumbling from me.


The Lone Ranger starring Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, and Helen Bonham Carter is one of my favorite 2013 movies, even if I didn’t see it until 2014. Frankly, with all the bad reviews (in America—the reviews abroad were quite positive), my husband and I had no urgent desire to watch it. Then again, we generally like what the critics hate, including Cowboys and Aliens, so those reviews didn’t deter us much, nor did the protests that the 2013 film didn’t follow Lone Ranger canon. I’m a whole lot more interested in good entertainment than in Johnny Depp’s bird headdress or whether Armie Hammer’s John Reid was in the original radio show.

http://bcove.me/4q82z5nl

 
Don’t get me wrong—I loved the television show starring Clayton Moore, and he’ll always be the true Lone Ranger to me. But that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy another character type or another depiction. Jay Silverheels is firmly entrenched in my childhood memories as Tonto. My husband got it right when he said that if the moviemakers would’ve made up a new character instead of using the highly venerated Lone Ranger, the film would’ve been a hit. Funding would’ve been nigh to impossible, though, so likely the film never would’ve happened.

Was The Lone Ranger historically accurate? Of course not. Neither was the original Lone Ranger. Did director Gore Verbinski do a good job with the story world? I thought so. If you didn’t know anything about the Texas Rangers or the events surrounding the driving of the Golden Spike at Promontory Point, you’re off to a good start. The story wouldn’t have worked out if they’d used the actual events and besides, this is fiction, folks. Pure entertainment—not a history lesson.


My 14-year-old grandson, who said he didn’t like westerns, loved it. How’d I get him to watch it? I told him it was a funny movie with lots of shooting similar to Pirates of the Caribbean, and that critics hated it. He’s 14, so that last item was a big draw. He wants to watch it again this weekend and maybe invite some friends. 

I suppose with the big to-do and the hesitance of the theater audience that there won’t be a second movie. That would be a shame, because this is the sort of film that requires some time to catch on. My guess is that video sales will make up for any deficiencies at the box office and eventually it’ll become a cult classic. 

We’ve screened The Lone Ranger twice this week and will be watching it again in a couple weeks with extended family. Believe me, it’s not a sacrifice. I enjoyed the second viewing more than the first. Armie Hammer has a lot more talent than I expected and I’m looking forward to seeing him in future roles, Johnny Depp’s Tonto didn’t put me off at all as I did expect, and Helen Bonham Carter’s ivory leg was just plain fun. 

William Fichtner’s Butch Cavendish role was much more disgusting than it needed to be, but Fichtner did have his “good” bad guy moments. Tom Wilkinson is always an asset to any film, and he played Latham Cole perfectly. 

The star of the show was the Spirit Horse (Silver—actually several different horses were used), but I loved the scene where Tonto is trying to convince the Spirit Horse to pick Dan Reid instead of John.

And then there’s the train race—what a finale! And here’s how they did that:

 

If you didn't see The Lone Ranger in the theater, watch it at home.  Even though the action plays great on a large screen (ours is 8' and our recliners are 6' away, per my audio/video engineer spouse--who also has seven huge studio quality speakers each with their own amps... and I don't know what all), I'm sure the film would be great on a normal-size television.  But go into it with an open mind and expect to be entertained, because this movie delivers.


39 comments:

  1. I'd have enjoyed it more if those two had been attempting to mimic the Lone Ranger by strapping on a mask honoring their heroes. It would be a like a LIFE OF BRIAN or WHOLLY MOSES type spoof. I would have gone to the theater if it had been done in that vein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it yet, Jacquie. But your positive review will do a lot toward making me see it a lot quicker. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen it yet, either, Jacquie, but I'm like you, in that I don't really much care what the critics say. I haven't had time to watch a lot of movies in the recent past, but this does sound like one I need to rent and watch. Loved the trailers you posted.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw it in the theater, enjoyed it. There were things they could have changed, but this was never to be an Oscar movie, it was for fun and it did deliver. (The Oscar films on the other hand are horrible this year. *Have been watching and critiquing them for years). Thank you for the letting others know how fun this film is. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacquie,
    I loved it!! It was much better than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacquie,

    I said from the beginning the movie was a big spoof and I enjoyed watching it.

    However---you are very brave!

    There were many who were highly upset with the advertising clips, irreverence, and this new take on the iconic LONE RANGER.

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rick, I wasn't bothered by the new take on the Masked Man at all. And I rather liked Tonto having a stronger role.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David, while the reviews didn't really put me off because we rarely ever go to the theater (our home setup is much better, and no one sits in front of me), if I'd had an inkling of how much we'd enjoy it, we definitely would've made the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl, I'm a little saddened that the western aficionados basically boycotted this film just on principle. I've heard a lot of people say they didn't like it, but hardly any of them had actually seen it. So how valid is their opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was everything I hoped it would be and then some. It was big and brash and completely ridiculous in the best possible way. Depp is a wonder. I was chuckling through the whole thing. The cultural and cinematic references, subtle and otherwise, were a pleasant surprise. Anyone who didn't like this movie does not understand entertainment. Anyone who was looking for historicity or some kind of homage to the original does not understand what it means when a producer hires Johnny Depp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doris, I admit it was a little scary to hit the publish button because I know how popular it is to bash this movie. But I thoroughly enjoyed it--twice. And I'm puzzled as to why those who loved the TV show would think this movie would be or should be anything like it. I love them both and make no apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristy, ditto. I guess my expectations were pretty low going in. But they quickly upped the ante. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charlie, there sure were/are a lot of people upset about it. I just don't understand why they would be, though. Should the Lone Ranger be put to rest with the TV show? :shrug: A lot of people are missing out on a night of great entertainment just out of pure stubbornness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jonah, exactly! Tonto's role was a whole lot more than providing the Lone Ranger a way to deliver exposition. I can't imagine Depp playing the same role as Jay Silverheels (although both were terrific). I loved the POTC movies and The Lone Ranger is every bit as good. We didn't expect historical accuracy in the POTC movies, or that Captain Jack Sparrow would be exactly like Morgan or any of the others. Also, I thought Armie Hammer was perfect and very underrated as an actor. Besides, the movie's worth seeing just for Helen Bonham Carter's deadly ivory leg. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Critics didn't like Pirates of the Caribbean either, so that didn't influence my decision to see it in the theater or buy the DVDs (did both). I don't have a problem with the different take on Lone Ranger movie from the TV series, any more than Batman movies because they're different from the campy TV show. And you know I'm going to see anything with Johnny Depp. He's an amazing character in any role.

    I can, however, see why this movie wasn't as popular as it might have been. It has a lot of humor, more funny than a lot of "comedic" movies. It also has a lot of violence -- they didn't shy away from some brutal history between Native Americans and Cavalry, for example. PotC has a lot of violence - sword fights and cannibals and all -- but it's a very campy, funny violence. The juxtaposition in Lone Ranger of laugh-out-loud humor and violent violence is difficult to take, at least for me. It's almost a whiplash effect. So I saw it in the theater and have the DVD but will probably not watch it nearly as often as, say, POTC or Sleepy Hollow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jacquie, I agree, it was a great fun movie. As you may guess from my chosen pen-name I am a fan of Clayton Moore and the TV Lone Ranger, but I didn't see anything that I didn't enjoy in this movie.

    I liked Johnny Depp as a zany Tonto, Armie Hammer as a do-it-by-the book lawyer and Helena Bonham Carter as the lady with the deadly ivory leg. I also thought that Ruth Wilson was good as Rebecca Reid. She is very popular over here and was excellent in Luther with Idris Elba.

    I liken this version of The Lone Ranger to Sherlock, the new adaptation of Sherlock Holmes with Benedict Cumberbatch. It isn't Sherlock Holmes at all, and nothing like Jeremy Brett's version, yet it works and is compulsive viewing.

    The Lone Ranger was over the top, it was a bit zany, but it was a fun movie in my opinion.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keith, since I enjoy zany, over the top movies (and books), this movie suited me just fine. I don't understand why being a fan of Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels precludes enjoying the new movie. And I sure don't understand people who say they want to promote westerns, then put up roadblocks when the prime opportunity comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shirley, I could've done without the cannibalism, that's for sure. Didn't look during that part. My biggest complaint was the role of Butch Cavendish who seemed more mentally disturbed with no motivation. Luckily, those scenes are short, for the most part. The Latham Cole role was a better-written adversary.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The movie was a fun movie, but the fact that those of us who grew up with the Lone Ranger, in comics and movies, don't see the purpose of making him into a wimp. More three stooges than Lone Ranger.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dick, the new Lone Ranger was anything but a wimp, IMHO. He stuck to his principles no matter what, and he sure didn't shy away from confrontation of any sort.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We will agree to disagree, Tonto carried the action. Yes I do have the movie, yes it is funny, BUT not the Lone Ranger!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw it and didn't equate it to the Lone Ranger of old because I knew it wouldn't be at all like that because of the actors. It was fun, though I didn't like the gory villain scene. Have to turn my head when that comes on. I loved the horse and the scene where it picks the "best man". LOL Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, now I have to see it, Jacquie. We never see movies in theaters, preferring our home. We'll watch this one now. I know when to "look away" from the TV. ☺ Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll probably enjoy it more than hubby - he's a die-hard Lone Ranger fan. He did like Cowboys and Aliens, altho the plot holes were horrible. Fun, but a disappointing ending. We'll see how LR does.

    ReplyDelete
  25. At the risk of getting booed, I have to say I didn't like this movie. Slapstick humor is not my thing, although a few parts did tickle my funny bone, especially the horse choosing John. And I liked Johnny Depp as the wacky Tonto. What got me steamed was how fast and loose the writers played with the building of the Union Pacific. Placing the route in Texas? Get real!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I never saw this movie just based on the trailers and reviews but I love westerns and spoof; so now guess I have to see it :) i also rarely like what everybody else does.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Paty, I could've done without that scene myself. Luckily, the lighter-hearted scenes made up for it. I got a kick out of the outtakes where they're in the mine and Johnny Depp couldn't blow out the lantern.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Caroline, that scene comes when the Rangers are shot up riding through the canyon, so be on the alert and don't watch. Yuck. The rest of it, I'll bet you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Meg, that's what I don't understand because I'm a diehard Lone Ranger fan, too, and a new take didn't put me off at all. In fact, I really hope they make a second movie, although with the reception of this one, the chances of that look pretty slim.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lyn, I love just about any kind of humor except the gross stuff. As for the historical aspects, this is entertainment, pure and simple. They didn't place the route in Texas, they moved the rangers up to Utah. Still a big NOT. But I didn't care. There are other places to go for history lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Rain, that's exactly what I like--westerns and spoof. You'll definitely get your fix with this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I loved it! Saw it twice already and will watch again. It's very artsy, which I love, and clever.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I heard all the bad reviews and didn't go to see it even though Johnny Depp was in it. Thank you for this enlightening commentary on the movie. Now I look forward to seeing it on TV. I wish I had your comfy home theater. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  34. Husband is a huge westerns fan, and we also enjoyed Cowboys and Aliens. So we liked this one. We weren't expecting much of it, based on all of the panning it got. But we laughed at parts, and enjoyed the various explosions and chases. We felt we got our money's worth.

    But then we're huge action movie fans. And we like irreverent movies.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ella, they packed so much into that film that I doubt I'll have seen everthing even with a fifth viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sarah, I'm sure a lot of people stayed away because of the scathing reviews. It's really a shame. Of course, when it costs $100 to take a family to the movies, people have to pick and choose. Too bad they didn't choose this one.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fiona, same here. I like a fast pace, lots of action, and irreverence is always a bonus. And I like the good guy to win. Some of us are just shallow that way. LOL.

    ReplyDelete