Wednesday, July 19, 2023

THE ALL-TIME BEST SLOW-DANCE SONG --by Cheryl Pierson

Hi everyone! This is something that intrigued me the other day and I wondered what you all thought about it, too. I was on Facebook and saw this question: WHAT IS THE VERY BEST SLOW DANCE SONG? Y’all know that got my little mind to wondering…and WANDERING! I had to scroll through many of the answers just to see what people thought—but not before I answered with my pick. The very best slow dance song (and in my opinion ONE of the very best songs ever recorded) is Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers. I am careful to always say “by the Righteous Brothers” because this song had a lonnnnng history of covers and remakes before the Righteous Brothers ever made their version of it. And theirs is the best.



But what did other people think was the best? There were so many opinions—and some were songs I had not ever heard of that became popular in the 90’s and 2000’s. By the same token, I’m sure there were plenty of songs that were popular in long years gone by that I haven’t ever heard, either.

Since many of us write historical romance, this also made me realize that songs of those old days in history might not be as meaningful to us now as they were then—maybe they even seem childish and simple, not a song that would speak of love to your partner as we would think of today.

Some of the others that people listed as the “very best slow dance song” were:

At Last by Etta James

Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton

In the Still of the Night

I Only Have Eyes for You

Only You by the Platters

Earth Angel

These are just a few! The thread was full of songs, too many to list here. My hubby and I never had a “special” song. In our early years, we had our own band and played mainly country rock and easy listenin’ music, so I heard (and sang) a lot of different songs, but Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers was always my favorite song (and that was one we never performed, because who can top the Righteous Brothers?)

What is YOUR favorite slow dance song? (This did make me wonder what my latest character couple, Johnny and Krissy, might have wanted to slow dance to way back in 1899!)


AMAZON BUY LINK: https://tinyurl.com/hwnwkeu5

6 comments:

  1. I'm definitely not a musician or singer, but to me "Unchained Melody" seems like a very difficult song--at least the way the Righteous Brothers pull it off. I can't imagine anyone successfully covering it after their version. It really sets a high standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Jeff. I had to laugh when I read this and thought about what I'd written in the post about how my husband and I never performed this song because of the difficulty. Made me think of a review I got one time on one of my western stories: "Well, it's not Louis L'Amour, but it was a good read." BWAHAHAHAAA! I still laugh over that. Um...what else IS LL but LL? Same with the Righteous Brothers' rendition of Unchained Melody! Thanks so much for stopping by today!

      Delete
  2. Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers is very possibly the perfect song. Nobody does it better, not even our beloved Marty Robbins. ;-) Slow dancing was on the cusp of catching on as a dance form when Krissy and Johnny were on their adventure in 1899. I think they would have danced to My Wild Irish Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kaye, I agree. Nobody does Unchained Melody better, or really even comes close, to the Righteous Brothers version. I love My Wild Irish Rose! That's a really good choice for them. It's kind of hard to think of any of those "old, old" songs being a couple's "song" like we think of today, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Cheryl, For me 'Unchained Melody" is a tie between the Righteous Brothers and Home Free in terms of performance. My favorite slow songs wouild be "Annnie's Song" by John Denver and "Try to Remember" by Ed Ames. Still, it is good to revisit these classics. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris, I LOVE Ed Ames's voice. Soooo smooth. Always liked to hear him sing anything. Annie's Song--that was really beautiful. I'm a huge John Denver fan. There are so many good ones out there, it's hard to pick one. Someone asked on FB the other day "What is one song you can't get through hearing without crying?" I have two of those I can think of right off the bat. The first one is "Forever Young" written by Bob Dylan, performed by Joan Baez. The second one is Jim Stafford's version of "Mr. Bojangles"--that guy was so talented.

      Delete