Wednesday, October 25, 2023

FISH FARM?


Post by Doris McCraw

aka Angela Raines

Photo from Find a Grave

Of the many things that Colorado Springs is known for, one of the most unique, given the fact that Colorado Springs sits in a High Plains desert, is that one Col. George De La Vergne had a series of fish ponds.

An article in the local paper, Colorado Springs Gazette, from March 27, 1879, discussed visiting his business. The following is a description of the reporter's visit to these ponds.

"We first saw a pond in which there were about 70 mountain trout, caught by the Col. himself in the mountains, and brought to this place. Other ponds contained about 200 more of these trout. Most of these are two years old, and of good size for eating, but they will be kept for reproducing purposes. They reproduce very rapidly, one female trout laying at least 500 eggs. Near the mountain trout is a hospital where the sick trout are successfully treated on allopathic principles.

A little distance off are three other ponds containing about 1300 brook trout which were bought a few months ago in Denver from a party who had brought them from the East. The brook trout are decidedly the "gamest" of the trout species. We were much interested in seeing them partake of a little lunch of beef liver. Some of them would jump clear out of the water to grab a piece held over the water, while over the long pieces there would be a terrific struggle for full possession between two or three trout who might have hold of it.

Next we went into the nursery, a covered stone building, which was filled with youngsters. There were about 55,000 baby brook trout and 3,500 Lake Trout. It will be about two years before these fish will be large enough to send to market."

 Col. De La Vergne was born in New York on October 18, 1800. He died in Colorado Springs, CO. on January 15, 1893, of pneumonia. In his lifetime De La Vergne was more than just a fish farmer, but for Colorado Springs, this was an interesting way to make money.

His son, Edward Morton De La Vergne, is known as one of the first men to invest in what became the Cripple Creek Mining District. His story will follow later.

Until Next Time Stay Safe & Stay Well

Doris

10 comments:

  1. Doris, an interesting part of Western History. Thanks. Love trout. Mmmmm good. Now, where did I leave my fishing pole? --Jim Williams...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trout, done right...yeah!
      I was surprised when I ran across this account and just had to share. Like you, an interesting part of Western History. Doris

      Delete
  2. Doris, this reminded me of one of the episodes of Rawhide, where I think it was Burgess Meredith was traveling across the country with a container of fish that had to be kept a certain temperature and so on. His business partner and his wife were having an affair, but his mind was on getting those fish safely to... California, I think it was. That was a very different kind of story, and this made me think of it--those fish were going to be worth a lot of money to him if he could get them all the way to their destination, because they were not native to that region and he was introducing them. This is just fascinating to me, because it's something I never would have even thought about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd seen the tombstone in the cemetery and finally had a chance to research and when this story showed up in the paper, I just had to share. Glad you enjoyed the post. His son has a fascinating story also. So, I think there will be more about George and his family.
      I don't remember the Rawhide story. Now, I need to go watch it.
      Doris

      Delete
  3. Wow! Fascinating and sad at the same time. I don't imagine anyone alive today has ever seen that many brook trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right. Colorado Parks and Wildlife, if around then, might have had other ideas. LOL The whole story begs further investigation that's for sure. Doris

      Delete
  4. Doris, I love love love this. ;-) Trivia and little known stories like these make my world a happier place. Fish and a fish farm. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your response brought a smile. I love these kind of pieces of history too. My fascination with cemeteries does pay off sometimes. I really want to know more about George and his family. Just need to find the time to do the research. Doris

      Delete
  5. Fascinating. I had no idea that there were fish farms in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they were either until I started researching the DeLaVergne's story. The things you find while researching. Doris

      Delete