Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Wrap up - Year End


Post by Doris McCraw

aka Angela Raines

Photo (C) Doris McCraw

Five days, just five more days left to 2023, and then on to 2024. It has been a year. 

Let's begin by finishing the story of the De La Vergne family, specifically Edward, the son of  George W. from the Fish Farm story.

Edward was one of the first to invest in the Cripple Creek Mining District. Some stories claim he was the one who located the first paying gold. After Robert (Bob) Womack located the mineral in Starvation Gulch he decided to invest despite what others were saying about the danger of another hoax.


Image from Find a Grave

He was born in 1846 in Marietta, Ohio, the youngest of ten children. He moved to Colorado Springs, in 1878 with the rest of the family. During his time in Cripple Creek, he was vice president and general manager of the Elkton Mining and Milling Company along with owning additional mining properties.  

Like many others, De La Vergne was involved in community affairs and politics. By 1904 he was elected to the State Senate and served until 1908 when his term ended.

He married Alice Hook in 1896 who was born in England in 1864.

Edward died in September 1917.

With that end tied up the rest of the year will be devoted to where I want to take my writing in 2024.

I would like to resume the author biographies, especially the new members. Also, if I'd asked you to participate earlier and didn't get it posted, let me know. I'm in the process of migrating files over to a new system and don't want to overlook anyone.

As 2023 ends, what are your plans for the coming year?

As always:

Until Next Time Stay Safe & Stay Well

Doris





6 comments:

  1. Dori, thanks again for your wonderful contributions to Western Fictioneers. May 2024 be great for you. All my best, John Porter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John.May 2023 be the greatest year yet for you and all of us. Doris

      Delete
  2. Nice wrap-up article. I hope you continue writing these in 2024. My writing plans for 2024 are just that: write. No set goals. No particular expectations. Just write. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My intent is to post on things that fascinate me about history. Plus, I'm going to be posting members books published in 2023 over the next month or so. And if time permits, renew my author interview posts. (Just in case I don't have anything else to do. GRIN) Doris

      Delete
    2. Here's to some great writing sessions! Doris

      Delete