Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Henry C. Davis - Civil War Veteran


Post by Doris McCraw

aka Angela Raines


Photo (C) Doris McCraw

This year I am beginning a series of posts about the Civil War veterans buried in Evergreen or Fairview Cemetery in Colorado Springs. This month's post is about Henry C. Davis who served with Company I, Pennsylvania 51st Infantry.

There are many with the name Henry Davis in the records of this conflict. By starting with his short obituary in the paper where they stated he was seventy years old. From his death date of March 1914 and going backward his birth date is probably 1844. .   

He is found in the rolls of the 51st. This is a list of some of the battles in which the 51st took part:

1862 - 2-6- Battle of Roanoke Island, 3-14- Battle of New Berne, 6-17 to 7-4-Siege of Vicksburg

1863 - 12-5 to 12-29- Pursuit of Longstreet

1864 -  Battles of the Wilderness 5-5 to 5-7, Spottsylvania 5-8 to 5-12, Ny River 5-9, Spottsylvania Court House 5-12 to 5-21, Assault on the Salient 5-12

1865 - Seige of Petersburg 6-16-1864 to 4-2-1865, Pursuit of Lee to Farmville

According to one source, the regiment lost 12 Officers and 165 Enlisted men killed/mortally wounded and another 137 Enlisted to disease for a total of 314.


Photo (C) Doris McCraw

Having joined as a private, probably in 1861 when the 51st began by the time the regiment was dissolved in 1865, Henry left as a Corporal. Henry filed for his pension on January 25, 1893. The name of N. Bickdord is the attorney listed on the application. 

At the time of his death on March 28, 1914, he was living up Ute Pass from Colorado Springs in the small town of Green Mountain Falls where he owned the home he was living in. Census records show he was single while living in the Pikes Peak Region. 

Why the Pikes Peak Region as a place he would move to and work as a laborer (street worker)? His death certificate indicates he died of chronic asthma. When you add that to the area where those with 'wasting' diseases would come to be cured, it would make sense he would try this area. 

There were probably many stories he could have or did tell, but I've yet to find any of those. As I take this journey into the history of those who reside at the cemeteries I will find more to add to a larger picture. 

For those who would like to read more about this regiment here is a link to Google Books and the "History of the 51st Regiment of  P.V. and V.V". https://books.google.com/books?id=HZodAQAAMAAJ

As always:

Until Next Time Stay Safe & Stay Well

Doris




11 comments:

  1. Thanks. I've always been interested in stories from that period of time in our country's history. Ben.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I have wanted to do this for some time and decided this was the year. Doris

      Delete
  2. This is a nice tribute series. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, what I love is this area was a place where many from that confict came, from both sides. Their stories are so fascinating to me. I hope others will enjoy the series as much as I enjoy reseraching it. Doris

      Delete
  3. Doris, I love that you are doing this series. I'm always sad to think of all the men who died in wars that people forget or will never know about. This is a wonderful tribute! I love reading this type of post--you surely do some great "sleuthing"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I have walked by this section many times on my walks. I'd always wanted to know the stories of the people who are there. Since no one else was doing it, I decided I would dig in. Some take some deep digging, but I enjoy the challenge. Doris

      Delete
    2. As good as you are at research, I bet you will be able to turn up a lot of things others might miss. That's really some good work!

      Delete
  4. Doris, This is a fabulously intriguing topic for your series. Henry Davis and the 51st were in some of the 'big name' battles. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye, I'd been wanting to know more and finally just decided to dig in. I was surprised at the places the 51st was during the conflict. There were many more than I had room to put in this post.
      I'm glad that people are as interested as myself. Doris

      Delete
  5. Doris, Thanks for doing this series. It's unfortunate that Mr. Davis didn't leave behind a memoir of his life experiences. I'd bet it would have been fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I agree with you that I've not found anything he may have said or written down. I've not given up hope I may find something somewhere that he wrote or someone said about him.
      Also, thank you for the kind words. Doris

      Delete