Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Western Movie Taglines Blog Series - April Movie Taglines #movietaglines #westernmovies

My 2024 blogging series, Western Movie Taglines, began in January when I explained what a tagline is and gave examples of good non-western movie taglines followed by several disappointing taglines from western movies.

In February, I shared 15 western movie taglines that were clever or witty, real groaners, or just plain silly. March through September, I will share 10 movie taglines each month. October through December will be the Top 40 Countdown of Best Western Movie Taglines.

I compiled a list of 250 (plus) westerns and their taglines. From that 250, I plucked out the best 125 to share between February and December. These 125 taglines range from good to outstanding as far as doing justice to their corresponding movies.

The Top 40 taglines are the ones that capture and sum up the heart of the movie in such a fabulous way that we're amazed at how a handful of words can be that powerful or theme-descriptive. Also in December, I will 1) share taglines I've written for two western movies and one early-settling of the American frontier movie that deserved better taglines and, 2) offer a downloadable document of the 250 movies and taglines that I compiled.

Onward to the April Western Movie Taglines—


Joe Kidd (1972)
If you’re looking for trouble – He’s Joe Kidd.

Joe didn’t look for trouble. It just found him.

The Plainsman (1966)
When the land needed law…
When the West needed taming...
When adventure needed a giant…
They sent for the Plainsman!

Five Card Stud (1968)
A card cheat was hung…

Then all hell broke loose!

Rango (2011)
No man can walk out on his own story.

Into the Badlands (1991)
Where the bounty hunter becomes the hunted.

Somewhere between civilization and the Ninth Circle of Hell

Silverado (1985)
Four strangers became friends. Four friends became heroes on the road to… Silverado.

The Tin Star (1957)
"When you wear the tin star you’re either a brave man…or a dead one.”

Monte Walsh (1970)
Monte Walsh is what the West was all about.

Monte Walsh (2003)
A man struggling to hold on to the tradition that made him a legend.

The Sheepman (1958)
They called him the Stranger with a Gun.




See you next time,
Kaye Spencer
www.kayespencer.com

11 comments:

  1. Fascinating list. Thanks for putting it together. I definitely have not seen all of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen many of these movies, either. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Kaye, I am loving this series so much. Man, there are a lot of western movies I have never seen, I'm learning! I did see The Sheepman just the other night--really different, and I enjoyed it! Monte Walsh...well, that was pretty darn depressing, and I think that tagline from 2003 was very accurate, and sad.I have not ever seen Rango, but that tagline interests me and makes me want to look it up! LOL Thanks again! These are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lee Marvin Monte Walsh was, as you said, a real downer. I haven't seen the Tom Selleck version. The original was enough for me. The Sheepman definitely stood out as unique among the 'traditional' westerns of the time. Rango is most unusual, and I love it. haha

      Delete
  3. "No man can walk out on his own story": great tag, Kaye! Thank you, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that tag line, a lot. Rango surprise me for how much I like it. The rattlesnake villain is really scary.

      Delete
  4. I remember watching 'The Tin Star' but I never knew the tagline. I like it. These do bring back memories.
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never watched Tin Star. I like the tagline, and it makes me curious about the movie.

      Delete
    2. It's an interesting comentary that seemed a bit more life like than some western movies that came out around the same time. Worth at least a one-time watch. Doris

      Delete