Sunday, January 25, 2015

READY? OR NOT? By Vonn McKee

Blending in for 100+ years!
(Great Basin NP photo)

History buffs were literally all “a-Twitter” recently over a news story released by Great Basin National Park officials. The incredible account of a rusty Winchester rifle found leaning against a juniper tree in remote northern Nevada has sparked the interest of researchers, gun experts and, yes, more than a few fiction writers. The Model 1873 rifle (.44-40 caliber, for those of you who like to know these things) very likely has been resting against that tree for over a hundred years. Oh, the stories we could conjure up!

What I found interesting about the news release was its date: Great Basin’s Facebook page announced it on January 8, 2015, and it later became a national headline. But when was the gun actually found? Last November, staffers on an archaeology outing noticed it…perfectly camouflaged against the gnarled juniper trunk.

Park officials did not rush to the local TV station or blast a social media “Eureka!” I’m sure there was a lot of jumping up and down with glee on their parts, but they took the time to do a little research before revealing the discovery. Remarkably, the serial number was still visible. Park staff members checked it against the Cody West Firearms Museum's records. They learned that it was manufactured and shipped in 1882, although Winchester records don’t indicate the purchaser or shipping destination. Great Basin continues to scour local newspapers and other historical records for more information about “the Gun Frozen in Time.” They are preserving the rifle from further deterioration and plan to display it at the park.

My point is that the story is much more interesting with all of those additional details than it would have been back in November. Sometimes it pays to sit on a story.

Last week, I was handed a challenging writing project with a very short turnaround…as in four days, start to sparkling finished product. In my opinion, it wasn’t quite sparkling or finished, althought the client seemed pleased. I have learned–both from experience and other writers–that stories need a little “steep” time. It’s natural to be excited about a finished book or short story and want to release it as soon as possible. I’m learning that the sequence, for me, is write/edit/write/edit/WAIT. Wait a week, maybe two. Maybe longer, depending on the length and complexity of the project.

I think about it while I go on about other things. Without fail, I discover some nuance or detail that improves the story. Ooh..what if they knew each other back in Kansas? What if they’re brothers? Wait, did I get those dates wrong? Hmmm, that section seemed long/short/boring/etc.

Drop a tea bag in hot water. Just because it immediately looks like tea doesn’t mean it’s drinkable. A cake taken out of the oven has to rest before it can be cut and devoured. An old Winchester’s story comes to life as someone takes the time to track down its history.

Let your work settle after it’s finished. When you go back to it, it will tell you where it needs help. Take time to listen.

All the best, 
Vonn



Keep up with Vonn:

21 comments:

  1. I thought that I was the only one that did that. It takes me one maybe two re-dos on a short story.
    I am on a novel right now and discovered recently that I killed off my primary antagonist 10,000 words too soon. It took me an entire day to straighten the mess out.
    I have learned through osmosis that it is worthwhile to take a little extra time when critiquing one's own work.
    Thanks for the interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jerry. I agree. A little patience can save us a LOT of embarrassment later.

      Delete
  2. Vonn,

    No worry there, most of my stories have been resting 20 to 40 years! To see mistakes and work on the edit takes way more than a few weeks, more like months, in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Charlie. You've elevated waiting to a fine art! I think my record is 10 years, start to finish, for a Civil War piece. (Longer than the war itself.)

      Delete
  3. Vonn,
    You're so right about this. I always need to pad in 'rest' time for my stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea–factoring in the rest time before you get to the eleventh hour (as some of us are prone to do).

      Delete
  4. I saw that story about the Winchester. As you say, it conjures up all sorts of possible stories.

    I am not good at putting a story away and waiting. It may take me a while to write it, but usually only one edit and then off to goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you probably write much better drafts than I do! I am a slow writer as well and tend to edit as I go. Still...I always seem to miss a little something.

      Delete
  5. I generally let a story cool off for a week or two before I read it again, but I seldom edit much--fix a few typos and what not. It's sure a lot easier to get a big picture view of the story after some time has passed. Good article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacquie. Time is not only a healer, but a great editor as well.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (ahem... had to delete my comment to fix a string of typos - fingers moving faster than my brain, I guess) :-)

    Vonn,

    My tedious writing procedure is: write-reread-edit-write-reread-edit... It's so easy for me to get bogged down in the reread/edit cycle, and the new words I should be writing get put on the clichéd back-burner. I, too, believe in shelving the last draft for a while to give it mental breathing room from what I thought I wrote to what I really wrote. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean, Kaye. With my slow-as-Christmas writing style, I have to back away from my work when it's finally finished. Too much togetherness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I call it 'percolating'. The stories, both fiction and non fiction brew in my mind for long periods of time before I ever start writing. When I do start, like you, it is similar to your process.

    Glad to know I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think I was just a procrastinator. (Smile, I may be just a little bit). Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that and calls it percolating!

      Delete
    2. That's what my dad used to call it, too!

      Delete
  10. All this percolating and pondering before and after writing–no wonder writers spend so much time staring into space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coming from a newspaper background, where the pressure of daily deadlines means getting it right the first time, has been one of my biggest adjustments as an author. But it can be the difference between good, better and best effort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great training ground for discipline and productivity. I guess the extra mulling time is a luxury for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Vonn, as always. I'm like Keith--I usually write it (longhand) and by the time I enter it into the computer it's gone through two edits--once as I'm writing it and once as I'm entering it. For me, it helps to see it when it's formatted. Everything just jumps out at me at that point--or most everything, I hope. But there is a lot of value in putting something up and coming back to it. Wish I was better at that.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheryl, I think the longhand is the secret. You are forced to think about every letter and comma as you write, making for a cleaner manuscript.

    But that's just my theory...and I'm no rocket surgeon. :D

    ReplyDelete