Tuesday, December 28, 2021

What A Year

 Post by Doris McCraw

writing as Angela Raines


Photo property of the Author

As of December 28, 2021, this year has three more full days. How has it been for you? I confess I've been so busy that I'm not sure how to answer that question. Instead, I thought I'd look at one of the years from the 1800s. 

As of December 28, 1859, the Rocky Mountain News was still carrying the specifics of the Territory of Jefferson. 

The area was growing. This advertisement from the same issue reads as follows:

Rocky Mountain News (Weekly) December 28, 1859

Yet the Western Mountaineer, Golden's Newspaper talked about Jefferson Territory. They also talked about the New Years Ball, to be held on January 2, 1860.

The Western Mountaineer, December 28, 1859



Yet, life went on. There were many enterprising residents back then. Here is an advert for animal boarding through the winter.

The Western Mountaineer, December 28, 1859



I've always found that a look back puts current life in perspective. Life goes on, plans are made, and people continue to dream. Here's to the dreams you have for 2022.









6 comments:

  1. That first ad you shared highlights one of the reasons I love 19th century history--dreaming about days when land was available and in plenty and more people had a shot at it. Gimme the gold old 19th century any day! 8-) Happy New Year to all at Western Fictioneers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot going on back then and opportunites we can only imagine. I think that's why I enjoy reading the older news stories and advertisements. Doris

      Delete
  2. This is so fascinating, Doris! I just love these older newspaper articles--the way they wrote, their language, their descriptions...You know, even the smaller town newspapers from my own lifetime were so different than the larger ones of today. Especially the society pages. LOL Love this! I hope 2022 will be kind to all of us and that our dreams come true as we move through life. Thanks for this wonderful article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjpyed it. I am enamored with these old news stories and just have to share. I agree, their language and focus are just exquiste.

      Wishing you the very best in 2022 also. I'm looking at some ideas for next year. Doris

      Delete
  3. I love reading old newspapers! Hope 2022 is a great year for you and all the rest of us Fictioneers!

    ReplyDelete