Saturday, March 12, 2022

I BELIEVE IN WIN-WIN--An Interview With Doris McCraw

























I have the pleasure of interviewing our own DORIS MCCRAW today! After her tireless (and wonderful!) interviews of Western Fictioneer members in the past (which she is planning to continue) I thought March might be a great time to see what makes her tick since it's Women's History Month! Doris has been so giving of her time and energy in putting together her interview series here on the blog, as well as her regular monthly posts she does (and sometime filling in when we have a large gap between bloggers, too!) There is no way to properly thank her for her efforts, but hopefully, her interview will give us some insight into her writing endeavors and what influenced her to become a writer.

Doris has written many stories for Prairie Rose Publications, but that was only the beginning! Since that first story, she's taken off in her writing career and written many, many short stories and novels that have been published. She's also an excellent photographer, writes haiku, and is a "researcher extraordinaire" in many subjects, as well as being a musician, an actress--the picture above is Doris in costume in her portrayal of Helen Hunt--and soooo many other talents. Oh, and did I mention she also kept her day job? I don't know when she sleeps!

Here's a peek into the world of Doris McCraw!

1. When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I have always been a storyteller, at least my mother said so. I can remember writing plays at seven or eight. Poetry was part of that early writing. I’m not sure I even made a conscious decision to write, I just did.

As a student aid in high school I wrote a ‘book’ for the first grade class I was working in. From what I understand the teacher loved the book and the illustrations a friend did, for she continued to make copies each year she taught. To tell the truth, I didn’t think anything of it. I just thought it would be a nice thing to do.

2. What was the nudge that gave you faith that you could and wanted to be published?

I don’t know that there was a nudge. I decided to write a story in the 1990s that was picked up by a regional magazine. After that I didn’t think anything of it until Cheryl Pierson mentioned she was part of a new publishing company. I said maybe I’d try writing something. I was asked when I would have it done. Gave a date, followed up, and the rest is history, as they say. I’ve not looked back.



3. What life experiences influenced your writing?

Growing up in a mid-west agricultural community, I was around multi-generations and loved listening to the stories everyone told. I spent almost twenty years working in juvenile corrections. After retiring from that field, I started working in tourism. Oh, the stories you hear. When you add the years I’ve worked as an actor and musician, my life can’t help but be a part of my storytelling.

Add an almost compulsive need to research, especially history, and it adds up to the perfect storm of telling stories be they fiction or non-fiction.

4. What books or authors you grew up with inspired you to take pen to paper?

I’ve always been a reader, actually making people read to me before I started reading myself. Books I remember are the Farley “Black Stallion” books. I started reading Phyllis Whitney and Mary Stewart at about the age of twelve and went on from there. If I had to choose an author, it might be Andre Norton. I found her early on and her stories resonated with me more than most. I think I wanted to impact others with stories the way she did me. Her “Beastmaster” series always felt like a western to me.

5. What are your favorite areas of research and why they are important to you?

I spend a lot of time just reading old newspapers. I love it. It was while reading a paper from 1880 that I saw an obituary for Julia Loomis MD, and I was off and into the stacks searching out the names and stories of the early women doctors in Colorado. Of course, living near Cripple Creek/Victor has led to mining history research. Last but not least, just any history that catches my eye and I’m off down the rabbit hole.

6. Where did you get the idea for your latest release? What is the elevator pitch for it?

I’ve got four books I’m working on, all based on research I’ve done over time. You know 2021 was kind of a loss in terms of anything getting out there. At the same time, I’ve been writing and hope to get a story of a woman doctor, a stage stop cook, a train trip romance and one with Polly Pry in the story.

An elevator pitch for the woman doctor might be: A widow doctor and her young son take in an injured man. His past and her nemesis can end everything the two have tried to overcome.

7. Do you write in other genres?

I write poetry, primarily Haiku. I also write non-fiction articles on history, primarily on women and Colorado history. I’ve written murder mysteries for a company I used to work for. I also scored a children’s musical and wrote another children’s play.

8. What advice would you give to those who dream of writing, or what advice would you give your younger self?

Advice, that’s a tough one. If you want to write, just do it. So many think you have to be perfect. What a waste of time thinking that way when you have a dream. It’s only by writing that you get comfortable putting words on the page. Find what works for you. Some write every day, some when the mood hits. Critique groups work for some, or if you’re like me, timed improvisational sprints, with no critiquing, work well. I’ve always lived by the idea I don’t want to go to my grave wondering ‘what if?’



9. Is there anything else you feel people would like to know or would be surprised to learn about you?

I believe my parents realized early on that NO didn’t work on me. Instead, they instilled consequences for actions. They also supported me in whatever I wanted to try. I give them credit for the great and varied life I have and continue to live. (You noticed I didn’t say easy. )

10. DORIS, PLEASE ADD A QUESTION I MIGHT HAVE LEFT OUT THAT YOU WANT TO ANSWER!

People may think I just charge in giving orders, etc. Actually, I think things through before making most of my statements. (I tell my boss, they’re statements, not orders telling her what to do.) Ultimately my goal in life is to treat others the way I want to be treated. I believe in win-win. When we support each other, that ripple affect grows the community. Writers, are special. Western writers have a great community, and I am excited to see it continue to grow.

Many thanks to you, Doris, for all the time and devotion you have given to this interview series you started and for all the wonderful, informative articles you've posted here at the WF blog for us, too. I really enjoy your books, and look forward to seeing your posts on social media of your haiku and your beautiful pictures you share with us. You are one very special lady!

CHECK OUT DORIS MCCRAW'S PAGE AT AMAZON. SHE WRITES AS ANGELA RAINES!

30 comments:

  1. Dori, I loved reading your answers to these questions! I'm so glad to get to post this interview with you so we can learn more about you! You do so much for our Western Fictioneers organization and its members, much of it "behind the scenes"--and I, for one, am so happy to have this chance to learn more about you and to thank you for all you do! Love your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate all you do and have done for me. I admit, despite all the years in the public eye, I like doing things behind the scenes. I just love helping people. Doris

      Delete
  2. It's great getting to know you better, Doris. I understand completely how easy it is to fall down that rabbit hole of research. It's fun finding interesting history. We're very lucky that you share interesting history with us all. Thanks so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Livia. I have always been so thankful for what you and Cheryl have done for me.

      I also admit I love sharing what I find as I go down those rabbit holes. My deceased husband used to always say I was trying to read everything ever written and I was about 10,000 years behind. I think he was correct. Doris

      Delete
  3. Thank you Cheryl and Doris! This was indeed a meeting of two very special minds. Interestingly, I get the sense that we only scratched the surface here, and I mean that as a compliment. I am sure this was purely a function of time. Cheryl asked two very, very bright open ended questions. Doris was somewhat circumspect in her responses. We know her work, so we know there is so much more to the picture. Maybe the two of you will consider sitting for a second interview at a later date to amplify some of the underlying points when there is more time. I would look forward to it. Above all, Doris and Cheryl should be commended as hugely resourceful people willing to sacrifice their time, and probably their health, to make larger contributions to the community of writers as a whole. I think I speak for many of our colleagues here when I say how appreciative we all are for your contributions and EVERYTHING the two of you have done for our community. It is a rare gift to encounter people like you in this industry or really any industry. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James. What would you like to know more about? I will be glad to answer any questions you may have, it I can.

      I confess, you made me blush. I really don't think about anything other than what I can do to highlight the work of others. (I tend to be a private person. Doris

      Delete
  4. Well, this was an interview we’ve been waiting for after all of Doris ‘s excellent series of her fellow western authors. And what a variety of skills you have, Doris. What a great attitude, it’s no wonder you accomplish so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I always been someone and was encouraged to be adventurous in what I could do. Life is about experiences and I figured that if the opportuity arises I'm going to give it a try. Doris

      Delete
  5. Great interview, Doris. I never would have guessed either Haiku or corrections. What a diverse background you have.
    Thanks, Cheryl, for letting us have this glimpse of a great fellow writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dennis. Life is about living and living is experiences. I try to get in as many as I can. I also like to challenge myself so I don't get stale. I'm even giving art a try at this point in time. Doris

      Delete
  6. What a great interview Cheryl did. It is always a treat to peep behind a writer's work and see special parts of the real person. I always look forward to your research posts as well as your interviews. Now, should I check out the art scene for your new work? Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my ramblings, Agnes. Sharing research is a true joy for me.

      As to the art, I'll let you know if it goes anywhere. LOL Doris

      Delete
  7. Super interview! I'm always interested in how and why and what makes an author click on a subject or decide to write. Thank you Cheryl and Doris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. Cheryl made it easy for me. Doris

      Delete
  8. Doris,

    How totally appropriate that your interview is up during Women’s History Month. You and research are a perfect combination. I so look forward to your articles about the historical women, especially the female doctors, who helped shape and settle Colorado. I hope you compile your articles into books (volumes) someday. They would be an important resource to have on hand for any writer of the Old West.

    I particularly enjoy the videos of you portraying Helen Hunt Jackson.

    Poetry is such a personal avenue of expression. Like you, I love haikus. I recall you often share your haikus on social media. I have to confess that I’m just a tad envious (okay…a lot envious) of the scenic paths you have in Colorado Springs that offer such lovely photographic opportunities. I know how much you enjoy photography, and I'm glad you share your hiking photos with the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye, you're making me blush. I plan to get the book on the women doctors done as soon as I can. I just want to make sure I tell the truth about them without a lot of interpretation.

      You would think someone who's spent a lot of time out in public wouldn't be shy about what she does, but I am. I share my photos because I am lucky to be in such a stunning area. I want to share that beauty, as best I can, with the rest of the world.

      You made my day, even if you did make be blush. Thank you. Doris

      Delete
    2. Cheryl, your interview is EXCELLENT! Your questions are clear, and Doris's answers are direct (and engaging). I especially liked question #10--and answer #10. You and Doris are great! Thank you!

      Delete
    3. John, Thank you for you supportive and kind words. I do believe that we treat others as we would be treated, although sometimes frustration gets the better of me. Doris

      Delete
  9. Thank you for an absolutely delightful interview, Ladies! Thank you, Doris, for all you do for the rest of us! Both of you, please keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, it is a pleasure to do what I do. I wouldn't be where I am without the help of others. I want to share that good fortune. I love people, even if I don't enjoy being around them all the time, people are special. Thank you for the kind words. Cheryl made this easy. Doris

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicky. I usually prefer behind the scenes, but...
      Doris

      Delete
  11. I have a question for you--you mentioned several different interests in addition to writing (such as acting, music, etc.). If there was a time where you were juggling all of these things at one time, I'd love to know how you balanced your time to get to it all.

    Also, if applicable, and you had to set a writing project aside for a while, while working on some other interest, how easy or difficult was it to keep your story/research in mind when you resumed your writing project?

    And if anybody else has had experience with these issues I'd love their input too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BK, First, I was blessed with a great memory. Something else I learned from a friend, for I'd not thought about it, I have a pretty organized mind. I tend to compartmentalize things. If I'm working on a research project, I put that in one place and writing in another. Each project has a spot in my brain. It's like reading four books at once, they each have a place.
    Additionally, when I was still working in juvenile, I came across a book about an 'artist' who was very proliffic in a number of areas. For him the secret was devoting a certain number of hours to each project, then when the time was up he moved on to another. He never strove to finish if his time was up. His name has been lost to me, but the idea of focusing on one thing at a time, for a set time has worked for me.

    Hope that helps some. Also, on walks or during exercise, I'm usually mentally working on one of my projects. (LOL). Doris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Cheryl, for this interview...and thank you, Doris, for all that you do and share of your talents and time.
    So many things to commend you on, but we (Nikoo and Jim) in particular loved your comment, "I’ve always lived by the idea I don’t want to go to my grave wondering ‘what if?’" That's exactly how we've always tried to live. It's the reason why we've written in so many genres and why we dove into writing Westerns. We just love the history and the mythology and the stories we get to tell about the strong (and flawed) men and women of the 19th century in this country. Happily, we get to read your blogs about exactly that too!
    Wishing you continued success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both. It is my pleasure to share the pieces of history I find.

      I also appreciate you kind words and encouragement. Wishing you continued success also. Doris

      Delete
  14. Thanks, everyone, for stopping by and reading & commenting! I see why Doris loves doing these interviews. They are so much fun! I enjoyed this so much and was glad to be able to share this with our group. A big thank you to Doris McCraw for taking the time to answer these questions and give us some insight into her "life and times" and what set her on the path to her writing career!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely interview you two! Thanks for coming up with the idea Doris & thank you Cheryl for interviewing our interviewer. Always fascinating to learn about our fellow Fictioneers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is always easier for me to ask the quesions than to answer. LOL Doris

      Delete