Wednesday, July 17, 2024

FAVORITE WESTERN MOVIES PART 2 by Cheryl Pierson

Hi everyone! I'm back to talk about MORE western movies--faves, and not-so-faves. This is Part 2 of this blog series, so if you missed Part 1 last month, I hope you'll look it up and see what we were talking about in June!

Last month, we talked about The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Purgatory, The Magnificent Seven, and El Dorado--all favorites! And...the not-so-favorite, which was The Searchers.But gosh, there’s a lot more ground to cover! I know a lot of you mentioned Tombstone, with Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Michael Biehn, and Sam Elliot. What’s not to love, in this re-telling of one of the most famous gunfights that ever happened—the OK Corral. Kurt Russell is just simply wonderful as Wyatt Earp, and he and Val Kilmer have spectacular chemistry together in this movie. I don’t think there’s ever been a better Doc Holliday than Val Kilmer’s portrayal. The casting was wonderful in this movie, and though it’s a story we are already familiar with, the actors involved bring it to life in a fresh, exciting way that has stood the test of time. One of my favorites, and when I’m scrolling on TV, I cannot ever pass it up. Another favorite, though much different than most westerns, is Cowboys and Aliens. Now, some may disagree with this one, and at first, I wasn’t so sure about it, but by the end of the movie, I was loving it. Even my husband, a die-hard western fan, enjoyed this one and recorded it to watch it again. (Color me SHOCKED!) Cowboys and Aliens boasts and all-star cast including Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Adam Beach, and Olivia Wilde.

Because they do it so much better than I do, here’s the Google synopsis of the film:

Bearing a mysterious metal shackle on his wrist, an amnesiac gunslinger (Daniel Craig) wanders into a frontier town called Absolution. He quickly finds that strangers are unwelcome, and no one does anything without the approval of tyrannical Col. Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford). But when Absolution faces a threat from beyond Earth, the stranger finds that he is its only hope of salvation. He unites townspeople, outlaws and Apache warriors against the alien forces in an epic battle for survival.

There is so much more to this movie, though—the development of the interpersonal relationships is one theme that, of course, can’t be allowed enough space in the synopsis to go into, but this is really worthy of watching, and in our house, watching more than once.




One of my favorites for many years is the original True Grit with John Wayne, Kim Darby, Dennis Hopper, and Glen Campbell. The original movie stays very true to the book by Charles Portis—and in my opinion, that book was a real masterpiece. I will say the same for the movie, even though Glen Campbell was not the best actor that ever graced the screen. But the other characters, and the scenery, as well as the close detail to the actual book, overcame Campbell’s (at times) wooden acting abilities.



True Grit is the story of Mattie Ross, a young teenage girl, who shoulders the responsibility of going after her father’s killer and seeing him brought in to face what he’s done. She is definitely no-nonsense and determined to see justice done.

After hired hand Tom Chaney (Jeff Corey) murders the father of 14-year-old Mattie Ross (Kim Darby), she seeks vengeance and hires U.S. Marshal "Rooster" Cogburn (John Wayne), a man of "true grit," to track Chaney into Indian Territory. As the two begin their pursuit, a Texas Ranger, La Boeuf (Glen Campbell), joins the manhunt in hopes of capturing Chaney for the murder of a Texas senator and collecting a substantial reward. The three clash on their quest of bringing to justice the same man.




My not-so-favorite candidate this week is Once Upon a Time in the West. I know, I know. It was very artsy and very well-received and highly acclaimed. But…it just went on and on and on forever. I honestly tried to watch this about three times and never could make it completely through in one sitting. It bored me to tears, and just seemed to go on forever. Stars include Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Jason Robards and Claudia Cardinale.

What’s your favorite “outside the box” western? I mentioned Cowboys & Aliens this week, and last week I talked about Purgatory. I love these kinds of stories. Anyone else got one to talk about? If not—just talk about one of your favorite westerns. And remember it doesn’t have to be famous, just one YOU liked.


12 comments:

  1. Well blogger seems to have forgotten what my Google name is so ...

    I have a soft spot in my heart for Rio Bravo, which often seems to me to be a bookend movie with El Dorado. I believe the latter was actually made as a "re-do" of the former if I remember my Hollywood rumors correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never can answer from my phone. Always have to answer from the desktop. :(((( I love Rio Bravo, too, and it doess seem awfully similar to El Dorado--both of those are faves of mine!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on Tombstone and Cowboys and Aliens. One of my all time favotites is 'Four Faces West' with Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott's 'Ride Lonesome'. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen Four Faces West or Ride Lonesome. Will keep an eye out for both of those on our Grit channel! Glad you stopped by Doris!

      Delete
    2. You can watch it on Tubi TV, but the quality is not that good. I think this film is where Joel McCrae met his wife. Doris

      Delete
    3. I'll see if I can find it, Doris! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hi Cheryl, wonderful post. I looooove Tombstone and agree totally about Doc/Val. The best! I like the John Wayne True Grit, too—lots better than tbe latest version, although I guess it’s truer to tbe book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that the later version of True Grit was "bad", but I think I was just so used to the JW version it was hard for me to warm up to the new one. If I'd never seen either of them it might be easier! LOL

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Cheryl. I loved "Westward the Women," and another one not much talked about is "Rawhide." It is not at all related to the TV series. It contains one of Jack Elam's earliest appearances as a bad guy. He was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, Celia Yeary used to talk about Westward the Women and how much she loved that movie. I have never gotten to see it! I MUST watch it. I have not seen Rawhide, either. I love Jack Elam--I will make a point to look that one up, too. Got these on my list!

      Delete
  5. Westward the Women ranks among my favorites. I haven't watched Cowboys and Aliens simply because the mere sight of Daniel Craig crawls up one side of me and down the other, so I avoid his movies at all costs. ;-) True Grit original was a tough movie to watch, and I've only watched it once. I haven't seen the remake. I did read the book, also once. A little too gritty for me, but still outstanding in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really must watch Westward the Women. So many have mentioned how wonderful it is. Well, shoot, I hate to hear that about Daniel Craig. He really was good in Cowboys and Aliens. But I like him in just about everything I've seen of his. I never watched the entire remake of True Grit, but that's okay. I watched part of it, and I still liked the original better. Yes, it was gritty, both the book and the movie.

      Delete