Monday, February 15, 2021

Feb. 26th should be 'National Johnny Cash Day' by Kaye Spencer #westernfictioneers #johnnycash #classiccountry #countrymusic

 

Coming up in 11 days on February 26 is the anniversary of Johnny Cash’s birthday (b. 1932 – d. 2003)



Let’s start a movement and declare his birthday National Johnny Cash Day. Everyone wears black and speaks in lyrics from his songs.

In anticipation of this day catching on, I’m showcasing two of his songs.

Don’t Take Your Guns to Town

and

Give My Love to Rose


But first, a bit of Johnny Cash trivia.

  • Cash appeared on Sesame Street in the 1990 and sang a rendition called “Don’t Take Your Ones to Town”.
  • Don’t Take Your Guns to Town is included in the Top 100 Western Songs of All Time by Western Writers of America.
  • Feb. 23, 1959 – Don’t Take Your Guns to Town reached No. 1 on Billboard Magazine’s Singles Chart.
  • Won his first Grammy for Jackson in 1967 – duet with future wife June Carter.
  • Poet Shel Silverstein wrote the lyrics for A Boy Named Sue.
  • He was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame, Country Music Hall of Fame, and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
  • Typically opened his concerts by saying, “Hello, I’m Johnny Cash” followed by, what is often touted as his signature song, Folsom Prison Blues.
  • Enlisted in the US Air Force in 1950 – worked as a Morse code operator intercepting Soviet Army transmissions.
  • Born J.R. Cash, he had to give himself a name in place of the “J” when he enlisted, so he named himself John R. Cash.
  • Roy Orbison lived next door to Cash for 20 years.

 Now the songs—

Don’t Take Your Guns to Town

Cash wrote this song then recorded and released it in December 1958 as the first single from his album The Fabulous Johnny Cash.

A few of the classic country era artists who covered this song are: Faron Young, Burl Ives, Ry Cooder, Sheb Wooley, and Willie Nelson (duet with Cash).

This video of Don’t Take Your Guns to Town is a student-made video, and it’s absolutely great.


Give My Love to Rose

Cash wrote Give My Love to Rose and recorded it in 1957. It eventually reached No. 13 on the Country & Western Chart. Cash recorded it several times and, for his 2002 version, he received his fourth and final Grammy for Best Male Country Vocal Performance. The inspiration for the song apparently came to Cash from a conversation he had with a San Quentin State Prison inmate who asked Cash to take a message to his [prisoner’s] wife if Cash ever went through his hometown.

This song was the inspiration for my novelette of the same name, which is included in the Prairie Rose Publications’ anthology Hot Western Nights.

Available on Amazon

Here is the beginning of my story.

 Chapter One

“Give my love to Rose…” The dying man gripped the man’s coat. “Tell her…tell my boys how proud…how proud I am… Tell Rose not to live alone…find another man—a good man. A man like you—You stayed with me. Love her…like…like she deserves...” The fevered spark faded from his eyes. With one last burst of strength, he pleaded, “Please…don’t forget to give my love to Rose…” Hands that had done a lifetime of hard work relaxed.

“I’ll tell her,” the man said, but Lon Griffin didn’t hear him. Exhaling a long, slow breath, Federal Deputy Marshal Clint Callahan eased the dead man down to the blanket. Clint pushed his hat back and studied the man from his lawman’s well-seasoned experience with death. He’d come across all manner of dying during his career. Broken leg, gut shot, horse run off, weak heart, blizzard, poisoned water hole, robbery. It wasn’t so bad when he came up on them already dead. Their suffering was over. It was the dying ones that stayed with him—the desperation in their eyes, the regret in their voices. He’d never get used to watching a person die, especially the women and children.

What he knew for certain was the worst part of dying wasn’t the pain. It was not being able to say goodbye to the people who mattered, and that was his sole companion over every mile he rode.

How many times had he heard the last words of love for a beloved wife and children, or a wish to see a mother one last time? Some cried. Others cleared the burden on their consciences. Most only had enough time to name next of kin. When you heard a person’s last words, shared their last breath, shouldered their confessions, you took on the duty of seeing their dying wishes taken care of.

This man, Lon Griffin, was no different. He’d clung to a thin thread of life, slipping between delirium and lucidity all through the night. His will to live gave out in the dark just before the dawn.

Any other time, Clint would have dug a grave right there, said the proper words, and then rode on to tell the family or sent a telegram, whichever was the faster way to convey the news. This time, though, Lon’s widow waited at the house a good many miles on farther north, she was probably wondering right now when she’d see her husband again. She never would, not alive, anyway, and Lon begged him to take him home to be buried in the family cemetery.


Bonus

Video from 'The Johnny Cash Show' in 1969 – Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash singing Oh, Pretty Woman. This is a fabulous few minutes in country music history.


Those of you reading this on your phones will likely not see the videos. Here are the YouTube urls.

Don't Take Your Love to Town - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raXKeQ5qFwo
Give My Love to Rose
https://youtu.be/eGCum-rQftc
Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash - 
https://youtu.be/OxSuvFuSzAw


Until next time,
Kaye Spencer

Look for Kaye here—

Facebook
Instagram
Blogging
Twitter

 Image of Johnny Cash, 1969, by Joel Baldwin, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

 

Joel Baldwin, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

9 comments:

  1. Kaye Spencer,

    Good stuff. Music and story combined. Sell a million copies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie,

      Thank you. You sure know how to boost my writing ego. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Kaye, I love these "music" blogs you do so well! I learned a lot of cool stuff here! I didn't know Johnny and Roy Orbison lived next door to each other! SO COOL! Very interesting, and I love these songs. Keep it up! Also, you know I how much I love your story, GIVE MY LOVE TO ROSE. Really enjoyed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,

      Thank you! I love trivia and music, so when I come up with these blogging topics, it's the best of both trivial worlds. haha

      Delete
  3. Kaye, first, I loved your novella. Second, The man in black was an icon. Thank you for giving voice to a wonderful idea. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris,

      Yes, he was. I remember the 345 rpm records I collected in my childhood. His record label was "Sun" and the center of those 45s was bright yellow.

      Thanks for commenting, and thank you so much for the compliment. *hugs*

      Delete
    2. Good golly. Typos are the bane of my typing existence. Why can't I notice them BEFORE I hit send? haha

      NOT 345 - just 45 rpm

      Delete
  4. I love, love, LOVE Johnny Cash but I'm afraid you're too late--I've spoken Johnny Cash lyrics for a long long time. He did so many wonderful songs, both solo and in collaboration, it's hard to choose. But two of my particular favorites are "One Piece at a Time" and "The Chatanooga City Limit Sign".

    But you have inspired me. I want to see if I can come up with story-telling lyrics from my own life that fit the melody of "The Chatanooga City Limit Sign."

    I miss Mr. Cash every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BK<

      Yes, he did have so many wonderful songs, and it is hard to choose a true favorite among them. I remember when I got his album "Mean as Hell! Ballads of the True West". Oh my gosh, but he looked like such a scoundrel on that cover, and I just loved that cover and the songs so much.

      I'm with you on missing him. I miss Marty Robbins, too.

      Delete