Monday, July 1, 2013

HOW CAN I SAVE THEM ALL? by CHERYL PIERSON

OK, bear with me today. Our regular blogger hasn't posted and I'm getting ready to go out of town. I know I normally blog about writing, marketing or books, but today I’ve been wondering about something that I can’t get out of my mind. It crept up on me in its own sneaky fashion, until I finally realized that there’s no escaping it, and no turning back. It’s an obsession that is fast rivaling my daily writing “fix”.

Have you ever gone to Facebook and clicked on one of these pages set up by animal rescue organizations? I did. Now, it has taken hold of me and won’t let go. The pleas for these animals are desperate. In many states, the organizations work to pull animals from shelters that are known as “kill” shelters. Dogs and cats that come in sick or hurt, or the ones that are aggressive—even if they are just afraid—are the first to be put down.

This is a picture of a dog that was saved by an EMSA worker in the recent Moore, OK tornado. This poor baby was impaled with a large spike of wood, but because of caring people, he was saved. Over 120 pets were unclaimed after the tornadoes. They were put up for adoption and nearly all were adopted the first day they were available. But there are many more waiting for a loving home all over the US!

Yes, I realize that not all stray animals can be saved. But did you know that many animals that are brought to the shelters are “owner surrendered” pets? Why would someone do this? For many reasons—I think one of the main ones being that owners believe that taking an animal to the shelter and ‘dropping it off’ will result in the shelter finding it a good home. The hard truth is that most shelters are running over. Dropping off your animal is probably not going to result in a preferable outcome of adoption. Most likely, the animal is going to be euthanized within the week.

One story that really tore at me when it was posted was the picture of a sweet golden retriever mix, that was taken in her cell at the shelter. Her eyes were kind. She didn’t understand what had happened to her world. After living with her master for 12 years, she had been “dropped off” at the shelter when her human had to go into a nursing home. I guess no one in the family was able to take her in to finish out her last years. And I can only imagine what anguish her master must have gone through, knowing that his family had surrendered his loving pet to a shelter. “Please help Sadie,” the post began. “She is alone and scared, and doesn’t understand why she’s at the shelter.”

Sadie’s story haunted me all day. But it wasn’t the only one. A few hours later, I saw that Middle Mutts, one of these wonderful organizations, had posted the story of yet another sweet little dog whose family had “surrendered” him as well. Only, they had moved off and left him to fend for himself rather than try to find a home for him. How could a family do this? I pictured them driving away from their home in their mini-van, the dog sitting in the front yard watching them leave, the husband and wife comforting themselves with the hope that “maybe one of the neighbors will take him in…” Nope. Animal control got him first and he went to the shelter, where he awaits certain death if no one adopts him or sponsors him.

There are plenty of horse rescues, and donkey rescues, as well! If you would like more information, please contact me off list and I will be glad to give you the contact info.

There are too many stories like this to describe in this short post. What I hope to do is to let you know how you can help these animals.

First: Click on the pages for these animal rescue organizations on FB and LIKE them—Here are three wonderful, very worthy animal rescue activist groups that are in the business of working tirelessly to get these sweet fur babies pulled and transported (with help from some guardian angels across this great country of ours!) to their new owners.

Pet Pardons http://www.facebook.com/#!/petpardons
Middle Mutts http://www.facebook.com/#!/middlemutts
The Bella Foundation http://www.facebook.com/#!/BellaFoundation

Second: When these notices begin to come in on your FB page about the animals that are going to be put to sleep (PTS), the ones who are injured and in need of treatment, the pleas for fostering or transportation funding, RESHARE them on your wall. You never know who might see these pictures and stories and want to adopt that dog/cat, or maybe knows of someone else who will. This doesn’t cost a thing and is a wonderful tool to “get the word out” about these animals, especially if you ask your friends to reshare, too!

Third: Most of these animals have a special “CHIP-IN FUND” or "FUNDRAZR" that has been set up just for their needs. When you donate to it, the money goes to THAT ANIMAL for their shots, medical care (many of them have been abused or neglected terribly) and transportation if necessary. Most people think their contributions won’t matter. I have seen time and again where the contributions inched upward each day and finally reached the amount needed to pay for the “vetting” for these animals. Even $1 is important. It all matters. Some of the animals require surgery or medical treatment for other conditions. These are the ones that desperately need funding to help them get that treatment and get to a new home. If you have a Paypal account, it takes less than a minute to click on the link for the Chip-In and transfer a few bucks over.

Fourth: Talk about it. Blog about it. Get the word out. Not all support has to be financial! We all have to do what we are able to do, and some can do more than others, but many of these people in these organizations are volunteers. Is there something you could do at your local shelter? Could you start a group like this on your own? Fostering dogs until a home can be found for them is a wonderful service to provide if you are able to do this. There’s no monetary gain, but the reward you get from these loving animals will more than make up for it. Many have never had a kind word or loving touch.

My daughter, Jessica, and her rescue dog, Embry, a couple of years ago. Embry was a very sick dog and still required meds regularly, but he is now my "third child" and we can't remember a time "before Embry." This was taken after he got out of the OSU veterinarian teaching hospital where they finally figured out what was wrong with him and successfully treated him--steroid responsive menengitis!
Have you been inspired yet? I hope so. Many of these stories have wonderfully happy endings thanks to regular people like you and me. Sadie, the 12-year-old golden retriever, was rescued within a couple of days of being posted and reshared again and again.

Another remarkable story is that of Vex, a dog who had been hit by a car in Romania and was paralyzed in his back legs. He had been dragging himself around, wearing his hide off for months. But the money was raised to fly him to America to a new loving home. Someone donated the money for him to have a little cart for his back legs so he could get around on his wheels. What a happy ending!

Want to be part of something wonderful? Get involved. You’ll be ‘heart happy’ as soon as you do.
Have a story you want to share? We'd love to hear it. Pet stories are the very best.

12 comments:

  1. Cheryl, Thank you for the post. Hopefully it will do the good you intend. I truly hope so. A person is often judge by how they treat those who cannot care for themselves. Life has become so fast we don't take time to see what is by the roadside. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Doris. You're so right. And I think that mentality of not wanting to get involved extends to animals, anymore--not just other humans. It's too bad. I am not able to go work at these places, but I can surely network on FB and get the word out. There are a lot of very willing people out there who just don't know how to get involved. Some of these rescue workers put me to shame with their selflessness. There are so many good people in the world, as well as the bad ones. Thanks for coming by--I was feeling lonely! LOL
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both my horse Yankee and my dad's now my Shih Tzu Dogie were unwanted before I got them. Now, besides being my best friends, they are also officially registered therapy animals with Pet Partners, and go to various hospitals and nursing homes to visit the patients and residents.

    More people should see about having their pets do therapy work. Just go to petpartners.org and check it out.

    Jim Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim that's a great idea! In the nursing home where my sister used to be there was a lady who brought her little terrier in. EVERYONE wanted to just touch him, pet him, talk to him...it brought so many smiles to everyone. That's a great volunteer thing to do. Good on ya!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee. Cheryl, where I do begin with my own obsession? I guess it started with the pit bull/whippet mix I adopted from our local shelter. Dancer was a bait dog, with broken ribs and blinded in one eye. Then there was Teddy, whose pregnant mother was turned into a rescue when her human parents divorced and neither one wanted her. Delilah, who was five days old in a West Virginia shelter and scheduled to die. Kipsy, eight weeks old and dumped in a kill shelter where she had nothing but a 2x2 foot square piece of sheet metal where she stood, shaking with fear, waiting to die. Arianna, five months old, within 12 hours of death when I got her out. Maisey who is even now fighting for her life with intestinal parasites, a badly infected eye, respiratory issues and wounds infested with maggots. You probably don't want me to continue. This is the life of an animal rescuer and I can only say when we reach out to people for help, financial or otherwise, this is what we're dealing with. So let your conscience be your guide. And thanks for any and all help for the animals. They can't speak to you...but they don't need to. You see the gratitude in their eyes. Every puppy I have pulled off a transport has licked my face before they've even hit the ground. They know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miriam, you are a true angel to these animals. You have done so much for them, and you are always ready to do more. So many people have gotten involved and it's a true miracle--especially for these animals. You're right--they do know, and they're so thankful in their own way. Thanks for coming by today, dear friend!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our Cavalier King Charles spaniel Tomlin was a leftover at the local pet shop. No one wanted him. Except my wife. She saw him every day. They formed a bond. He came home when former pooch-pal Alf the golden retriever was still alive, though with little time left because of spleen cancer. Alf did not like little Tomlin at all. But we made him understand (I think) that we loved him most (at the time) and Tomlin was a rescue effort. Now Tomlin is 10, and his little heart murmurs, as Cavaliers are wont to do. We don't know how long he has with us, but we wouldn't be without him at all. Not a rescue in the classic sense of plucking a battered dog from the local pound, but a rescue of a little dog that no one else wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate those people who "surrender" their pets. I so hope that when they get older, their family does the same to them in some old folks home and tells them, " I'll see you soon," and then never goes back. For years I have picked up strays and tried to find their owners before taking them to a shelter to hopefully be adopted. Now that I know most of them are killed after 72 hours, I just wish them luck if they aren't wearing tags. They're better off taking their chances on the street. If they have tags, I'll still try to help. In good conscience, how can we not? They're just lost, confused, and trying desperately to find their way back to the people they love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this, Cheryl! Picking up on Jim's therapy idea... If you want some good therapy, volunteer as a socializer at a shelter. A couple hours petting affection-starved animals is great therapy! Many shelters need men willing to show animals that not all men are abusive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlie, that's still a rescue! A lot of the animals that are at the shelter aren't battered, just given up for various reasons. I think some of the saddest cases are where the owner has passed away and the family doesn't want the dog. Those dogs are usually older and have little chance of being adopted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unknown,
    You are doing so much good by your actions. If more people would do that it would be so helpful to the animals. I think a lot of people don't even think of checking the shelters, for some reason. Thank you for all you do, and please keep up the good work. It's very very sad to see these animals just be dumped off because they are old. I don't get it. Thanks for coming by today.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeremy, that is a wonderful idea. I don't think a lot of people even know that kind of volunteer work is available. It's something I am considering for myself--I can't do a lot of physical stuff, but that is something I could do and really enjoy. Thanks for the tip!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete